03 September 2013

Fingringhoe, Rowhedge and Lexden this afternoon ...

Fingringhoe, the resting place of my Sarah Pritchett (headstone on the left) who died in 1825, and also my Edward and Elizabeth Wade (headstone and tomb on the right) who died in 1808 and 1803 respectively....
 
 
The present church of St Ouen commonly known as St Andrews dates from the 1100's
 
 
 
 
Statue of St Margaret of Antioch..
 
 
The statue of The Trinity dating from 1390.....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Medieval wall paintings....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fingringhoe was a Claudian supply base for the garrison of Roman Colchester.
 
 
 
 
 
What a fab idea!!!!!!.....
 
 
 
 
Wivenhoe on the other side of the Colne ... plans for a visit in hand as that is where my Salmons are from ....
 
 
What a pity all the ship industry has disappeared from here - my ancestors/family from this area were mostly mariners, carpenters, shipwrights and wheelwrights with a publican or two thrown in!...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love Rowhedge and hope to return very soon!
 
And lastly on to Lexden...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The names of the places you visit just gets more and more complicated for a poor Swede.. and the churches older and older, I would not be surprised if there is a Christian church in England built before Christ was born! These places (F, R and L..)are really gorgeous with breathtaking light from the Constable sky above the river.

Thanks again for sharing your stunning photos Cindy!

xxx Arne

3 September 2013 at 23:25:00 BST

 
Blogger Sage said...

As Arne said they are stunning. They always make me want to see them. The age of things there makes me ashamed when someone here says something is a couple of hundred years old. We have old and then you have really ancient. Thanks for sharing.

10 September 2013 at 22:28:00 BST

 
Anonymous Helen said...

Hello Cindy,
I don't know if we've been in touch before or not, but we are related to each other as I am also descended from Edward & Elizabeth Wade, and Sarah Pritchett.

Thanks so much for putting the photos online of Fingringhoe and their graves - I live in Birmingham so I would love to visit but just haven't been able to get there!

I've been trying to solve the mystery of where the Pritchetts originally came from, but have only ended up embroiling myself in *more* mysteries! I've written it up on my website: http://essexandsuffolksurnames.co.uk/history/wade/the_mysterious_pritchett_family.htm

My email is on the site - do let me know how we're related! Sarah Pritchett is my 6 x great-grandmother. Edward and Sarah Wade are my 5 x great-grandparents, and Charles Whitaker Wade and Hannah Woodward my 4 x g-gparents.

Did you know about the Pritchett connection in Lexden?

25 April 2014 at 12:12:00 BST

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Cindy:

My client is interested in possibly including your photograph of the defaced statue of St. Margaret at St. Andrew on the cover of his book. Could you please send me your email address or the best way to contact you, so that we can send you the full information about the book? We would also need to know if you have a high-resolution version available.

Thank you! Melissa Flamson, mel@with-permission.com

23 September 2015 at 23:20:00 BST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Stats