08 August 2013

St Mary's church, Mildenhall, Suffolk - on my doorstep and one of the country's finest churches with its 40 metre tower, magnificent porch and spectacular roof filled with angels taking flight. The grand east window dating back more than 600 years is one of the many treasures in this immense church...

 
 
People have worshiped on this site for over a thousand years and in this building for seven hundred of them.  Mildenhall manor belonged to the abbey at Bury St Edmunds in medieval times.  At the reformation the manor was passed to the North family, then Sir Thomas Hamner and finally the Bunbury family.  The north porch is circa 1420.
 
 
 
 
 
The roof is rather lovely ..... however many of the angels are mutilated - in 1651 the parish paid a man one shilling a day to smash popish images.
 
 
 
 
 
 
... said to be a weapon left embedded in one of the angels by Cromwell's men who had stabled his horses in the church!
 
 
 
 
Every angel has its own special character ...... and this one has nice hands!
 
 
 
Who'd have thought you'd come across one of these!
 
 
 
 
Sir Henry North's monument ....
 
 
 
When I started my family tree I had no idea I would have any connection with Mildenhall folks, as I hail from Hertfordshire, however, I found that my great grandmother's brother married a Mildenhall lass, Annie Aves, in Enfield (he was originally from Great Canfield in Essex).. it's a small world!
 
The font is 15th century.... 'the embellishments' might not be though!
 
 
 
What a lovely chest!  It is 14th century .... and has three locks so could only be opened by the vicar and two church wardens at the same time. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I hope it will be a clear day so I can take some snaps on the Open Tower Weekend - I hope my vertigo doesn't play up ....
 
 
Move over Boris Johnson....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Stained glass window commemorating Mary Fordham a bell ringer...
 
 
Sir Henry North's funeral helmet!
 
 
 
 
A small stained window commemorating Ann Jolly a church cleaner...
 
 
 
Apparently this used to be The Cock Inn where Sir Thomas Hanmer drank with Squire Coe and Sir William Bunbury..... hic!
 
 
 
 
Meanwhile, back in my garden ....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn´t it funny that we often miss to visit our closest fascinating places! I am glad you did as I find the St Mary´s church in Mildenhall really special. Wonderful old carvings of angles. And being tall I fell in love with the giraffe.. Your garden is wonderful too, you don´t have green fingers, they are red, blue, yellow.. I feel you have set your camera and chauffeur on "full speed photography" lately, the amount of gorgeous photos are impressive to say the least! Thank you also for those historic notes that give the interesting background to your lovely photos!

xxx Arne

8 August 2013 at 22:13:00 BST

 
Blogger Sage said...

beautiful butterfly and flowers. It always amazes me that people could build such wonderful buildings so long ago while the rest of the world lived in huts.

15 August 2013 at 17:32:00 BST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Stats