04 October 2016

Saffron Walden ...

A visit to historic Saffron Walden is always enjoyable.  When wandering around the pretty streets or sitting quietly in the magnificent church I often feel it is almost possible that the spirit of one of my ancestors will tap me on the shoulder and say "hello"....



"This fragment of an alabaster reredos panel was discovered in the garden wall of the old vicarage behind the church in the early 1900's.  It was removed for safer preservation by Canon Steele........There was a large output of these alabaster panels in the late 14th/early 15th century using alabaster quarried at Chellaston at Derbyshire and at Nottingham."























"The massive but wrongly-named Battle Ditches were constructed between about 1227 and 1240, in order to delineate the boundaries of the town."




















1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always wondered were saffron comes from..
I admire your indoor photos of the church Cindy, I know how hard it is to get good photos in the dark interior with bright light in the windows. The old history of England is truly fascinating. Thanks!!

9 October 2016 at 17:48:00 BST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Stats