14 June 2012

Castle Acre, Norfolk

...on the River Nar, and was in Norman times very important in affairs of state. The remains of the Castle and the Priory are at opposite ends of this sweet little village which has a green that's lined with brick and flint cottages. The castle was founded in 1066 and was the seat of William de Warrenne, First Earl of Surrey, and was his most important estate in Norfolk. This position was selected because it's the point where the Peddar's Way crosses the River Nar.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Quacks of Life said...

ah castle acre!! many happy memories. did you go to the priory? and the church with the huge door.

15 June 2012 at 06:34:00 BST

 
Blogger Sage said...

Makes me wonder if my relies ever walked here. I know I would like to.

16 June 2012 at 00:40:00 BST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Stats