03 February 2010

My Father's photos, taken in the Far East during his service in the RAF in Burma during WWII, his unit: 94 ASP and 1 SDU West Drayton, LAC Chester Bruce Alder

Chowringhee Calcutta

Calcutta Docks

Dad far right, next to him his best Pal, April 1945

Water Festival, Rangoon

Some friends of dad's but sadly I have no names ....

A typical scene of India

The Boat Club, Rangoon

Sule Pagoda, Rangoon

Silchar

Shwedagon Pagoda Entrance

River Hooghly

Building the oven, on arrival at Myingyan

Mrs Parker's House, Rangoon (I wish I knew who Mrs Parker was).

Merchant Street, Rangoon

Sense of humour essential!

Fire Station Rangoon

En route to Darjeeling

En route to Darjeeling

Calcutta Docks

Calcutta


Air HQ Rangoon




Tide is out, mud is in ....

Rangoon

Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon, Burma

At the foot of the Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon, Burma

Scott Market, Rangoon

Repairs

Looking down from Mandalay Hill

Calcutta

Gateway to the East, Bombay


Air HQ showing billets

Alan Elcoat (right)


At School


Atop Air HQ Rangoon

 

Bank of India Rangoon


2 September 1946




Brooking Street Wharf Rangoon


Calcutta


Calcutta



Calcutta Docks


Calcutta Merchant


Calcutta Post Office



Chindwin River


Chintah


Cowingrhee where Dharamtala Street meets


Darjheeling



En route to Meiklita


From atop Mandalay cathedral


Green Park, Calcutta


The Himalayas





Howrah Bridge Calcutta


Kohima memorial


Mandalay cathedral



Mandalay High Street


Mandalay Hill


Marina Drive Bombay


Meiklita Lake





Naga Tribesmen


Rangoon


On the road to Mandalay


Orderly room staff and officers   ... seated left to right Mr Lloyd, The Co. and the Adj.  Standing left to right Bert Watts, Prof, Little Daniels, Chester Bruce Alder, Alan Elcoat, Tom Gnaniah and Ginger.


Prayer Hill, Darjeeling


Shwedagon


Rangoon Docks after bombing



Post arriving from England



Remains at Myingyan


Scott Market Place, Rangoon


Shwedagon




Sule Pagoda



The Moat, Mandalay



My father didn't write on the back where these photos were taken....



Sule Pagoda with City Hall on the Right, Rangoon (this information kindly given by KFong)...






At Darjeeling 1945 - my father Chester Bruce Alder far right, next to him Alan Elcoat ... wish I knew the names of the other gentlemen...


Bamboo Bashers, Silchar Assam


Hmawbi


Kohima memorial .... When you go home tell them of us and say, for their tomorrow we gave our today.



"In the train on the way to Calcutta - Len, Alan and me"



I wish I had names to these faces ....











 If you recognise any of the above faces it would be nice to hear from you and to know your connection to the airmen who served with my father, please contact tessd_uk@yahoo.co.uk


Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Po Fong said...

Thank you for sharing your Father's photos with us. They are lovely! I've never seen photos of Burma before. These are real treasures. Po Fong

14 February 2010 at 20:17:00 GMT

 
Blogger Po Fong said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

14 February 2010 at 20:22:00 GMT

 
Blogger oldcrow61 said...

These are wonderful pictures Cindy. You're so lucky to have them.

22 March 2010 at 08:42:00 GMT

 
Anonymous Charlotte Poulloin said...

Your Father was a talented Photographer, Giving us a glimpse in what he was witnessing, what a rare treat..Now we know where his daughter got her talent! ;)
Thanks for sharing them with us!!

17 August 2013 at 18:05:00 BST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an unvaluable treasure of documentary photos! It is the true story of the time from a man that understood the importance to preserve what he witnessed for the future. Your fathers skill in photography lifts the photos to an artistic level, they are simply fantastic! I am so glad the photos are in your care as you understand the importance to show them in public. Your dad lives on for ever in an wonderful way thanks to his thoughtful daughter!

xxx Arne

19 August 2013 at 11:27:00 BST

 
Anonymous KFong said...

Dear Cindy, I second Po Fong and others in extending appreciation for your sharing these images. I can identify one of your 'unidentified' images. Beneath the heading "My father didn't write on the back where these photos were taken..." the third photo down is an image of Sule pagoda with City Hall on the right. The image was taken in Rangoon.

27 February 2015 at 13:59:00 GMT

 
Blogger Cindy said...

Thank you KFong for your advice on one of my un-named photos, I shall add this info straight-away! Cindy

27 February 2015 at 18:35:00 GMT

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cindy, I am researching the RAF Gang Shows in WW2. If your father was at 94ASP in Silchar, he may have seen Gang Show no.10, among whose members was the 19-year-old Peter Sellers. Did he ever mention this? Many thanks, P Brownsword

9 June 2018 at 18:05:00 BST

 
Anonymous P Brownsword said...

Hi Cindy, I am researching the RAF Gang Shows in WW2. If your father was at 94ASP in Silchar, he may have seen Gang Show no.10, among whose members was the 19-year-old Peter Sellers. Did he ever mention this? Many thanks, P Brownsword

9 June 2018 at 18:34:00 BST

 
Blogger Cindy said...

Thank you for your note P Brownsword, however, I don't recall my father telling me they saw any gang shows, I remember him saying that the only entertainer who did go out to the Far East to entertain the troops was Vera Lynn (Dad's hero!), I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck with your research. Cindy

18 June 2018 at 08:20:00 BST

 
Blogger Cindy said...

P Brownsword … I will ask my Mother if she recalls Dad mentioning gang shows, don't forget my email address is tessd_uk@yahoo.co.uk. Cindy

18 June 2018 at 08:57:00 BST

 
Blogger Cindy said...

P Brownsword, I just asked my Mother who told me that Dad did go to one gang show and saw Elsie and Doris Waters although I am told that he and the boys were hoping for Vera Lynn! Many thanks for getting in touch. Cindy

18 June 2018 at 16:41:00 BST

 
Blogger Ian Naismith said...

Thank you for taking the effort to share your pictures, they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but from my experience a sentence or two would have helped with my fathers pics!, its now too late to ask my questions.

6 March 2019 at 10:31:00 GMT

 
Blogger Cindy said...

Thank you Ian for your kind comment. I know what you mean, so many questions we should have asked. Best wishes, Cindy

6 March 2019 at 11:11:00 GMT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Stats