15 July 2016

Sherringham Park in Norfolk, and Baconsthorpe Castle in Norfolk ....

This is a lovely park to visit with its scenic views of the Norfolk coast, I was pleasantly surprised with this pretty spot.  Owned now by the National Trust but previously owned by the Upcher family, the grounds were landscaped by Humphrey Repton who was commissioned to design the park in 1812.  I hope the first of many visits here....















.... the thought hadn't occurred to me to press my nose against their windows, but I suppose there are those who might :-) ...






There are lovely views along all the different walk routes, and we have more to explore, but the best in my opinion on the walk we did yesterday is from the Gazebo...











And on to....

..... a moated and fortified 15th century manor house built by the Heydon family of Norfolk (I have Heydons in my family tree, but they were the poor ones from Essex!) ... According to 'English Heritage' Sir John Heydon built the inner gatehouse during the War of the Roses period and his son Henry completed the house. Their descendants converted part of the property into a textile factory and then added the Elizabethan turreted outer gateway which was inhabited until 1920.


























.. descendants of the Essex Heydons (the ones who didn't own their own castle!)...





2 Comments:

Blogger Sage said...

nice GREEN pics. love the one of the old tree with all the burls on it.

15 July 2016 at 15:54:00 BST

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a stunningly beautiful place! I very well understand your wish to return here, I would too. Interesting facts and artistic photos as always with your lovely road trips on your wonderful blog Cindy!

xxx / Arne

23 July 2016 at 21:56:00 BST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Stats